Login Register
 °

Decision on Frome boxing club site plans delayed

By Somerset Standard  |  Posted: September 27, 2012

ROW: The Slipps Close site

ROW: The Slipps Close site

Comments (0)

A decision on plans to redevelop the former boxing club site in Frome has been delayed.

The deferment was called for after it was revealed residents on the neighbouring Slipps Close site and the applicant were still at loggerheads over the proposal.

The application, which had been amended in July, was to demolish the former boxing club and build a new two-storey development to provide additional space for an existing workhub, submitted by entrepreneur Gavin Eddy, of Forward Space.

The original plan had been to use the building for 23 units, but that had been reduced to 19 in the amended plans.

The application had attracted 19 letters of support and 41 in objection.

Neighbours have argued that the new building will overshadow their landscape, will have a dominant affect on the skyline, will cause problems with parking and concerns were raised about construction access.

Gary Wicks, who lives in the closest house in Slipps Close to the proposed site, said he was concerned that no construction plan had been submitted, that parking in the street would be increased by the new build and Mr Eddy had originally said the building would be 5.9m in height, but it had increased to 6.5m.

Mr Wicks said: "The impact of the building will be huge, as you can see from the number of objection letters."

Mr Eddy said that his company had spent a long time trying to find other suitable accommodation for the business in the town, but had been unsuccessful.

He added that he did not want to leave the town, had invested half a million pounds in the existing building and another three quarters of a million would be spent on the new build, if given the go-ahead.

Mr Eddy said he would not allow visitors to park in Slipps Close and denied that he had agreed the height of the building, but that it was a work in progress at the time when discussed with residents.

He added that the district council had not requested a construction plan.

Ward councillor Damon Hooton (Lib Dem, Frome Park) said he felt that the two parties were close to an agreement and that the decision should be deferred so the differences could be resolved.

The board members agreed and the application has been put forward for the October planning board meeting.

Read more from Frome Standard

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES