Login Register

Frome triumphant in crucial clash

By Somerset Standard  |  Posted: November 08, 2012

Comments (0)

Walcot 1st XV 23 Frome 1st XV 26

Frome 1st XV picked up a vital victory at Walcot on Saturday to half their slide down the Southern Counties South table.

The visitors started strongly, taking the game to Walcot in the middle of the park, with Button and Powell running off fly-half Norris' shoulder. The ball was being recycled well and Frome were camped in the hosts' half.

However, the final pass was missing and Frome could not turn the pressure into tries, instead settling for a Winduss penalty from a difficult angle.

This seemed to awaken the home side and a penalty on halfway in turn led to a lineout possession and drove over the whitewash where, although the ball appeared to be held up, the try was given and then converted.

Further mistakes allowed Walcot to score again in similar fashion but this time the conversion was missed to keep the lead at nine points.

Frome bounced back and dominated possession but when the ball needed to be passed wide, the attack was taken to the heart of the Walcot defence, which coped with ease.

Frome eventually found themselves with a lineout ten metres out. King picked out Sheppard precisely and the Frome pack drove over the line, with skipper Phil Meenan coming up with the ball to claim the score. Winduss converted well and Frome were well on top despite still trailing.

The visitors took the lead when the ball was finally spun wide and Morris hit a great diagonal line to cut through the defence. He drew the full-back and timed his pass perfectly to fellow winger Warnock for the try.

Frome gave away a sloppy penalty just before half-time and another just after the break allowed Walcot to edge ahead once more.

However, the visitors got back in front when Winduss converted a penalty after the Walcot centre was sent to the sin-bin.

Meenan's men continued to attack, trying to make the most of the numerical advantage, and after sustained pressure they extended their lead. Cook and Bowles made barnstorming runs before Winduss showed good pace to touch down, adding a penalty soon afterwards to open up an eight-point lead.

Walcot attacked for the final few minutes but Cook's tackling held them at bay until a late try earned the hosts the consolation of a bonus point.

On Sunday, Frome host Clevedon in the first round of the Somerset Cup.

South Wilts 10 Frome 3rd XV 15

Frome 3rd XV built on the previous weekend's success with a 15-10 success against South Wilts in Salisbury on Saturday.

The Frome forwards made early inroads but found themselves on the wrong end of the referee's whistle and were soon under pressure, allowing the hosts to burrow over for the opening try.

A good restart was well chased by Spencer and Frome's pack were rampant again, despite sometimes falling foul of the referee.

Hastie, Burton and Hills ground out the hard yards, well supported by Baker, Witt and Brake. A Luscombe run from a South Wilts clearance got Frome on the attack and this time they earned a penalty.

A well-placed kick to the corner set up a training-ground move which saw Baker tap down the lineout for Lewis to score in the corner.

Frome raised their game as Gilson made a break and Spencer went close but it remained 5-5 at half-time.

After the break, Hills and Sam Ames-Reddin were sent to the sin-bin in quick succession and the hosts took advantage to score their second try.

However, Frome ground their way upfield and pressure from Burton, Baker, Gillard, Hstie and Spencer eventually teed up O'Shea to level the scores.

A strong carry from Hills and a fine break from Ames-Reddin allowed Luscombe to put Frome ahead and the visitors held on for victory.

The thirds are without a match this weekend but host unbeaten Lytchett Minster on November 17.

Read more from Frome Standard

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters